Virus Life Cycle
Virtual Microbiology Classroom of Science Prof Online
Virus Life Cycle Lecture Materials
are Virus Cycle of Infection Lecture materials from the free science eduction website Science Prof Online. The resources below are used to supplement actual
college biology courses.
- Know the difference between the viral intracellular and extracellular states.
- Understand the different ways that viruses can get into and out of cells.
- Compare and contrast the entry and exit of bacteriophages with that of animal viruses.
- Explain what transduction is, and how it relates to bacteriophages and their host bacteria.
Printing: The best way for students to print out the PowerPoint Show is to download the PDF version. Select Print, and, when the Print screen comes up, go to the Print Handling options. Under Page Scaling, select "Multiple pages per sheet". Under Pages Per Sheet, select "2". That uses up less paper, placing two slides on each page.
Students describe what is happening at each stage of the lytic and lysogenic cycle of a bacteriophage virus.
The Virus Life Cycle Lecture materials include:
- list of learning objectives
- practice test & review questions
- more virus educational materials
For more information on viruses, go to the
Page last updated: 2/2016
Science Prof Online
REQUIRED READINGS (in addition to text book)
PRACTICE TEST & REVIEW QUESTIONS
These multiple-choice/matching practice test questions and essay review questions are designed to help students better understand how viruses infect and reproduce.
MORE VIRUS LIFE CYCLE LINKS
- Play Pandemic 2 a video game of strategy, where you try to become a successful pandemic microbe and infect the world. My teenage daughter and I recommend this one to you.
- “Quarantine” a scary movie about a new infectious disease.
- Cell Breach: Animated video clip from "Battlefield Cell" episode of Curiosity.