Prokaryotes: Meet the Microbes
Virtual Microbiology Classroom of Science Prof Online
Prokaryotic Microbe Lecture Materials
are the Prokaryotes: Meet the Microbes Lecture Materials of the Virtual Microbiology Classrooms (8-week & 16 week). The resources below are used to supplement an actual
college microbiology course. On 9/18/12 the National Public Radio (NPR) show Talk of the Nation featured a story on superbug antibiotic resistant strains of Klebsiella pneumoniae: "Hospitals Fight To Stop Superbugs' Spread". This is important information on scary new bugs and what healthcare institutions are doing to protect their patients and employees. Click here for a Virtual Microbiology Classroom assignment to go with the story.
- Understand the three types of Archaea that we discussed.
- Know the three levels of hierarchy in biological classification (out of the nine we discussed) that we are mainly going to be referring to in this class.
- Know the information presented on the Gram-positive bacterial genera and species that we discussed.
- Name and describe the bacterial genera that produce endospores. Are they Gram-positive or Gram-negative?
- Which species of bacteria are considered Gram-variable? Why?
- How is Blood Agar (BAP) useful in distinguishing between the pathogen Streptococcus pyogenes and normal flora?
- Know the information presented on the Gram-negative bacterial genera and species that we discussed.
- How is MacConkey's agar useful in identifying different types of Gram-negative bacteria?
- Describe the important differences between encapsulated and unencapsulated Haemophilus influenzae.
- How is the life cycle of Chlamydia different than that of most bacteria?
Versions of Prokaryotic Microbe PPT:
Printing: The best way for students to print out the PowerPoint Show is to download the PDF version. Select Print, and, when the Print screen comes up, go to the Print Handling options. Under Page Scaling, select "Multiple pages per sheet", under Pages Per Sheet, select "2". That uses up less paper, placing two slides on each page.
The Prokaryotic Microbes lecture materials include:
- prokaryote classification homework assignment
- practice test & review questions
TV show, from Animal Planet, presenting case studies of people with parasitic infections. So interesting, you'll learn about parasitism without even trying!
Check out our FREE "Monsters Inside Me" Homework Assignments
Page last updated: 2/2016
You have free access to a large collection of materials used in a college-level introductory microbiology course. The Virtual Microbiology Classroom provides a wide range of free educational resources including PowerPoint Lectures, Study Guides, Review Questions and Practice Test Questions.
The VMC offers homework assignments based on Radiolab podcasts.
- Gram Stain: Differential Stain for Gram+ & Gram- Bacteria Identification
- Endospore Stain: Differentiating Endospores from Vegetative Bacterial Cells
PRACTICE TEST & REVIEW QUESTIONS
These multiple-choice / matching practice test questions and essay review questions are designed to help you better understand the material from this lecture.
PROKARYOTIC CELL IMAGES
The photos linked here directly relate to this lecture material and are designed to help students review and study while outside of the laboratory.
MORE PROKARYOTIC MICROBE LINKS
- “California's Pink Salt Lakes: A Strange Phenomenon Caused By Red Halobacteria”, a webpage with great pictures of halophiles in environment, by WP Armstrong.
- STD Name Game, figure out the STD based on a description of symptoms from WebMD.
- Bacteria Salad, a video game where you try to grow and sell produce without giving your customers bacterial dysentery.
PROKARYOTIC MICROBE HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS
Monsters Inside Me Video Clips:
Additional homework assignments appropriate for this lecture topic: